When making the move to a big city like Sydney to study, there are a number of things to consider. But likely the most important after being accepted into university? Finding the right accommodation to suit your needs.
There are so many different styles of accommodation available across Sydney, and it can be hard to decide whether or not to opt for student accommodation or private rentals. We’ve taken a look at both forms of accommodation, so you can make an informed decision on which may be better for you.
Benefits of student accommodation in Sydney
Student accommodation is the more popular option for students in Sydney, both locals and tourists alike, and for a number of reasons.
- Location – most student accommodation is either on-campus or pretty close by, saving you excessive travel times and/or costs
- All inclusive bills – student accommodation is already pretty affordable, pertaining to the needs of students, but most also go the extra mile and put all the bills to consider into the weekly rental payment, meaning you don’t have to worry about any extra bills on the side. They’re often fully furnished too – saving you from that hefty expense.
- Easy to make friends – being surrounded by fellow students means you’re more likely to make close friends with like-minded individuals. It puts you in the heart of all the action.
- Security – while you can definitely find private rentals that will offer incredible security, there’s an extra sense of it in student accommodation. Often, they have added security measures and 24/7 services to make sure you never have to feel at risk in this big city.
Student accommodation makes it easy for students, because it was designed for them specifically. While you may want to step out on your own and enjoy a private rental, student accommodation offers the perfect jumping off point for this new chapter of your life. It gives you the control, responsibility and freedom of your own place, without all the nasty surprises that can come with private rentals.
Better yet: if you’re an international student, you won’t have to worry about language barriers or “not fitting in”. You’ll be set up alongside a number of diverse students, many of which are in just the same situation as you.
(You may even run into someone who’s from your hometown! Imagine how comforting that would be.)
Benefits of private rentals
While student accommodation is the most popular option for students, private rentals still come with their own highlights.
- Less expensive – because you’re not paying the added extras in your rent, it can feel a little cheaper to go with this route, especially if you don’t need all the luxuries that most want. However, you’ll still have to consider some added expenses, no matter how cheap the rent may seem.
- You’ll get a real taste of local living – instead of living in the confines of your university, you’re out in the heart of Sydney and this can mean wonders for your ability to soak up local culture and find out what Sydney is really like.
- Life experience – this accommodation option is a great idea if you really want to step out on your own two feet and be part of the “real world”
But with all of these amazing benefits come a few downfalls. First of all, you never know who you move in with. Even if you opt for solo living, you can easily end up in a dangerous neighbourhood or with a neighbour that loves partying at the exact same time you like to study.
More so, you have a lot more to consider. While some private rentals come with inclusive bills and are available with furnishings, most don’t. You’ll have to factor in these expenses, and it can really add up. Especially if you forget to pay a bill or two and get stacked with late fees…
For most, the risks associated with private rentals end up outweighing the benefits, especially when it comes to international or wary travellers, but it can be beneficial for those who want to be in control of every aspect of their accommodation and come prepared.
Why Sydney Student Living is the perfect place to live + study
Sydney Student Living provides quality student apartments conveniently located in various parts of the city. Whether you’re searching for a safe and comfortable long-term or short-term rental residence in Sydney, we can assist you in locating the ideal abode.
Sydney Student Living is highly sought-after by students due to its numerous beneficial qualities
- Accommodation at Sydney Student Living is convenient and comfortable for local and international students.
- Besides providing comfortable living and studying spaces, we also carefully select our locations to maximise the student experience but can still help you avoid the hustle and bustle of being right in the city.
- You can count on Sydney Student Living for friendly service, modern amenities, and a quiet and safe environment.
Our high-quality, secure, and convenient student housing facilitates students in achieving their goals, whatever they may be.
“The idea of living in student accommodation always worried me because, for me, cleanliness is a must. However, the facilities and rooms at SSL were always kept very clean, and it felt more like a live-in community than student accommodation.” – Gladys
“It’s my first time living abroad and I was worried that I wouldn’t make any friends when I arrived. But when I came to common room for a movie night I ended up watching more movies afterwards with my neighbors, my new best friends.” – Massimo
When it comes to moving to Sydney for study, you’ll have a number of accommodation options to choose from. But which is best for you? We hope this guide will help you decide whether to live in student accommodation or rent privately.
If you’re planning on studying in Sydney, then you’ll want to have a comfortable place to call home during your university years. Here at Sydney Student Living, we provide student accommodation options that are conveniently located close to shops, transport, and other facilities. That way, you can spend less time commuting and more time enjoying your time as a student.
To learn more about our student apartments, contact us today and book your stay. We would be more than happy to help you find the perfect place to call home during your studies in Sydney.